LEVEL 1 FUNDAMENTAL SKILLS INSTRUCTOR
Length: A 3-day course that certifies an individual as a Fundamental Skills Instructor.
Dates: May 19-21, 2023 (8 am-6 pm)
Cost: $650 USD (including $65 USD annual membership dues).
The online prework will take approximately 24 hours to complete, including a quiz after each chapter.
This course introduces stability and biomechanics, teaching strategy, site selection, goal setting, proper demonstrations, keywords, progressions, and error detection for all the Level 1 Fundamental Skills.
This is not a skills course; all participants are required to meet the BICP Ride Standards for each skill.
Completion of the course, in addition to passing a practical exam, will qualify an individual to:
- Instruct individual or group mountain bike skills clinics professionally, systematically, and safely.
- Assess the level of each rider in their group through a Pre-Ride Assessment.
- Assess and diagnose common errors within each rider’s fundamental skills.
- Prepare and implement teaching plans, progressions, and goal planning for future skills clinics.
- Make responsible choices when instructing mountain bike skills clinics.
- Instructor Best Practices
- Skills Analysis
- Introduction to Instruction
- Fundamental Skills
Level 1 Prerequisites:
- BICP Ride Leader Certification.
- Current First Aid & CPR certificate.
- Wilderness First Aid certification is strongly recommended.
- Three or more years of mountain bike experience.
- Volunteer work or work experience in the bike-related industry.
- At least 16 yrs. Old.
- Good communication skills.
- A strong desire to help others have more fun and progress safely.
- Ability to perform basic trailside repairs (flat tires, broken chains, and shift adjustments).
- Fluent in the English language including reading and speaking.
In order to pass the BICP Level 1 course, participants must complete the online pre-course work (approximately 24 hours), demonstrate an understanding of the material, and perform suitable teaching simulations. All pre-course work must be completed 1 week prior to attending the in-person certification course.
- The certification holder must maintain their annual membership dues.
- This certification holder must possess a current basic First Aid/CPR training certification.
- The Certification is valid for 4 years from the date issued.
- An in-person recertification course is required every 4 years.
REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT CLOSES May 1, 2023
Name & Address of the Outdoor Facility:
Powder Ridge Park – 99 Powder Hill Road, Middlefield, CT, 06455
The BICP has a partner discount rate provided through Windham Hotels & Resorts.
Bike Shops / Rentals:
Pedal Power – 359 Main St, Middletown, CT 06457