Level 1 Certification
Fundamental Skills Instructor
Length: A 3-day course
Time: 8 am – 5 pm
Dates: Saturday, May 1 – Monday, May 3, 2021.
Cost: $650 CDN, includes the cost of the online Ride Leader course.
(Current BICP Ride Leaders should contact administration for subsidized pricing prior to registering)
In order to pass the BICP Level 1 course, participants must demonstrate an understanding of the material, perform a suitable teaching simulation, and pass a written test. Each student will be tested on their ability to demonstrate, teach, and provide feedback through error detection and corrections.
The Level 1 course offers hands-on training, students will receive comprehensive training on the fundamental elements of mountain biking. Level 1 participants will create a foundation for teaching mountain bike skills clinics including personal riding skills, proper form, systematic methods, and terminology.
Completion of the course, in addition to passing a practical exam, will qualify an individual to:
- Instruct individual or group mountain bike skills clinics in a professional, systematic, and safe manner
- Assess the level of each rider in their group through a pre-ride observation session
- Assess and diagnose common errors within each rider’s fundamental skills
- Prepare and implement teaching plans, progressions, and goal planning for future skills clinics
- Make responsible choices when instructing mountain bike skills clinics
Level 1 Prerequisites:
- Current First Aid & CPR certificate
- Wilderness First Aid certification strongly recommended
- Three or more years of mountain bike experience
- Volunteer work or work experience in the bike-related industry
- BICP Ride Leader Certification
- At least 18 yrs. old
- Good communication skills
- A strong desire to help others have more fun and progress safely
- Ability to perform basic trailside repairs (flat tires, broken chains, and shift adjustments)
- Fluent in the English language including reading and speaking
- Instructor Best Practices
- Skills Analysis
- Introduction to Instruction
- Fundamental Skills
- The certification holder must maintain their annual membership dues.
- This certification holder must maintain a current basic First Aid / CPR training certification.
- The Certification is valid for 4 years from the date issued.
- An in-person recertification course is required every 4 years.
*A manual and all course documents are included in the course fee.
REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT CLOSES April 1, 2021
c/o Karey Watanabe
Name & Address of Outdoor Facility
Edmonton Ski Club – 9613 96 Avenue NW, Edmonton, AB, T6C 2B3
c/o Adam Luciuk
The host will provide a shelter
DoubleTree by Hilton Edmonton Downtown – 9576 Jasper Ave, Edmonton, AB T5H 3V3, Canada
Bike Shops / Rentals:
Revolution Cycle – 15103 Stony Plain Rd, Edmonton, AB T5P 3Y2, Canada
|BICP L1 Certification-Edmonton, AB - May 1-3, 2021||$65.00 / year for 4 years and a $460.00 sign-up fee|