Level 1 Certification – Fundamental Skills Instructor
Length: A 3-day course
Time: 8 am – 5 pm
Dates: Friday, June 25-Sunday, June 27, 2021
Cost: $650 USD, includes the cost of the online Ride Leader course.
(Current BICP Ride Leaders should contact administration for subsidized pricing prior to registering)
In order to pass the BICP Level 1 course, participants must demonstrate an understanding of the material, perform a suitable teaching simulation, and pass a written test. Each student will be tested on their ability to demonstrate, teach, and provide feedback through error detection and corrections.
The Level 1 course offers hands-on training, students will receive comprehensive training on the fundamental elements of mountain biking. Level 1 participants will create a foundation for teaching mountain bike skills clinics including personal riding skills, proper form, systematic methods, and terminology.
Level 1 Prerequisites:
- Current First Aid & CPR certificate
- Wilderness First Aid certification strongly recommended
- Three or more years of mountain bike experience
- Volunteer work or work experience in the bike-related industry
- BICP Ride Leader Certification
- At least 18 yrs. old
- Good communication skills
- A strong desire to help others have more fun and progress safely
- Ability to perform basic trailside repairs (flat tires, broken chains, and shift adjustments)
- Fluent in the English language including reading and speaking
- Instructor Best Practices
- Skills Analysis
- Introduction to Instruction
- Fundamental Skills
The certification holder must maintain their annual membership dues.
This certification holder must maintain a current basic First Aid / CPR training certification.
The Certification is valid for 4 years from the date issued.
An in-person recertification course is required every 4 years.
REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT CLOSES June 1, 2021
Elaine B Bikes
c/o Elaine Bothe
Name & Address of the Outdoor Facility:
The Sandy Ridge Trail System is located about an hour east of Portland, Oregon on the way to Mt. Hood. No camping or overnight parking is allowed at the trailhead parking lot. The closest town is Welches, Oregon, 97067.
Sandy Ridge Trail System
62700 E Barlow Trail Road, Brightwood, OR 97011
The HOST will secure arrangements for extreme rain. PNW weather conditions could see light-medium rain.
Portland International Airport – 7000 Airport Way, Portland, OR 97218
- The BICP has a partner discount rate provided through Windham Hotels & Resorts. There are many near the airport, about an hour’s drive from Sandy Ridge.
- Nearby cabins and houses are available through Mt. Hood Vacation Rentals
67898 E Highway 26, Welches, Oregon 97067
- Mail: PO Box 454, Welches, Oregon 97067
- (888) 424-9168
|BICP L1 Certification-Sandy Ridge, OR - June 25-27, 2021||$65.00 / year for 4 years and a $585.00 sign-up fee|