RIDE GUIDE & FUNDAMENTAL SKILLS INSTRUCTOR
Length: 1 day (9 hours). The course includes a classroom portion, field practice, skill demonstrations, refining and analysis, instruction strategies, scenario training, proper skill progressions and much more.
Cost: $225 USD. Course prices are for U.S. events only, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a foreign course price quote.
The BICP Level 1 course offers hands-on training to prepare students for leading rides and mountain bike guiding in a group situation along with how to assess, demonstrate and instruct the fundamental skills. In addition to comprehensive training on the fundamental elements of mountain biking, Level 1 participants will create a foundation for future BICP training courses including personal riding skills, proper form, systematic methods, and terminology. Completion of the course, in addition to passing a practical exam, will qualify an individual to:
- Lead individual or group mountain bike ride in a professional, systematic and safe manner
- Assess the level of each rider in their group through a pre-ride session
- Assess and diagnose common errors within each rider’s fundamental skills
- Prepare and implement action plans in an emergency situation
- Make responsible choices in picking trail routes for specific groups
- Assist BICP instructors at clinics, camps, and events
Level 1 Pre-requisites:
- Provide a copy of current Certification from other recognized organization
- Current First Aid and CPR certificate
- Three or more years of mountain biking experience
- At least 18 years of age
- Good communication skills with a strong desire to help others have more fun and progress safely
- Ability to perform basic trailside repairs (flat tires, broken chains, and shifting adjustments)
- Fluent in the English language including reading and speaking
- Wilderness First Aid certification strongly recommended
What: Expect a full day of training & testing for “cross-over” certified instructors. Our one-day training course will test you on your knowledge of the BICP terminology, methodology, and your skills ability and knowledge to teach in accordance with the BICP curriculum and includes our most current materials such as updated key teaching points, static holds, demonstrations, and progressions.
Why: All BICP Level 1 instructors are required to recertify in-person every four years. Recertification is essential for maintaining a level of quality and standards among all BICP certified instructors. BICP protocols such as recertification make this a leading training program that provides maximal credential value to instructors. Stay current with BICP training methods and maintain your esteemed certification!
How to Prepare: A current Level 1 pre-course packet containing the most current manual will be mailed 6-8 weeks prior to your event.
- Read the manual and complete the pre-course documents
- Practice your Pre-Ride session and Introductions
Our Expectations: At this stage, we expect to see that as a rider you have mastered the Fundamental Elements and can demonstrate and teach ANY of the Level 1 skills on your first attempt along with proper error detection and correction using positive critique. We will expect that you are comfortable and fluent with all current keywords and teaching points along with proper demonstrations and progressions performed using PLATFORM/FLAT PEDALS.
Ideally, you have been instructing riders, friends, clients, etc. for the past four years or more. If not, we strongly recommend that you offer some clinics in order to sharpen your abilities in these areas.
You will be tested on the following:
- Fundamental Elements
- Skill Description
- Teaching Points
- Group Management
- Observations & Corrections
- Leadership & Professional Conduct
REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT CLOSES July 1, 2019.
Super Fly Outdoors
Name & Address of the Outdoor Facility:
Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park
12138 N Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78753
Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
3600 Presidential Blvd, Austin, TX 78719
Courtyard by Marriott Austin North/Parmer Lane
12330 North, I-35, Austin, TX 78753•(512) 339-8374
Bike Shops / Rentals:
Bicycle Sport Shop Lamar
517 S Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78704
|BICP L1 Recertification- Austin, TX - July 20, 2019||$65.00 / year for 4 years and a $225.00 fee for the class|