RIDE GUIDE & FUNDAMENTAL SKILLS INSTRUCTOR
Length: 1 day (9 hours). The course includes a classroom portion, field practice, skill demonstrations, refining and analysis, instruction strategies, scenario training, proper skill progressions and much more.
Cost: $225 USD. Course prices are for U.S. events only, please contact email@example.com for a foreign course price quote.
The BICP Level 1 course offers hands-on training to prepare students for leading rides and mountain bike guiding in a group situation along with how to assess, demonstrate and instruct the fundamental skills. In addition to comprehensive training on the fundamental elements of mountain biking, Level 1 participants will create a foundation for future BICP training courses including personal riding skills, proper form, systematic methods, and terminology. Completion of the course, in addition to passing a practical exam, will qualify an individual to:
- Lead individual or group mountain bike ride in a professional, systematic and safe manner
- Assess the level of each rider in their group through a pre-ride session
- Assess and diagnose common errors within each rider’s fundamental skills
- Prepare and implement action plans in an emergency situation
- Make responsible choices in picking trail routes for specific groups
- Assist BICP instructors at clinics, camps, and events
Level 1 Pre-requisites:
- Provide a copy of current Certification from other recognized organization
- Current First Aid and CPR certificate
- Three or more years of mountain biking experience
- At least 18 years of age
- Good communication skills with a strong desire to help others have more fun and progress safely
- Ability to perform basic trailside repairs (flat tires, broken chains, and shifting adjustments)
- Fluent in the English language including reading and speaking
- Wilderness First Aid certification strongly recommended
What: Expect a full day of training & testing for “cross-over” certified instructors. Our one-day training course will test you on your knowledge of the BICP terminology, methodology, and your skills ability and knowledge to teach in accordance with the BICP curriculum and includes our most current materials such as updated key teaching points, static holds, demonstrations, and progressions.
Why: All BICP Level 1 instructors are required to recertify in-person every four years. Recertification is essential for maintaining a level of quality and standards among all BICP certified instructors. BICP protocols such as recertification make this a leading training program that provides maximal credential value to instructors. Stay current with BICP training methods and maintain your esteemed certification!
How to Prepare: A current Level 1 pre-course packet containing the most current manual will be mailed 6-8 weeks prior to your event.
- Read the manual and complete the pre-course documents
- Practice your Pre-Ride session and Introductions
Our Expectations: At this stage, we expect to see that as a rider you have mastered the Fundamental Elements and can demonstrate and teach ANY of the Level 1 skills on your first attempt along with proper error detection and correction using positive critique. We will expect that you are comfortable and fluent with all current keywords and teaching points along with proper demonstrations and progressions performed using PLATFORM/FLAT PEDALS.
Ideally, you have been instructing riders, friends, clients, etc. for the past four years or more. If not, we strongly recommend that you offer some clinics in order to sharpen your abilities in these areas.
You will be tested on the following:
- Fundamental Elements
- Skill Description
- Teaching Points
- Group Management
- Observations & Corrections
- Leadership & Professional Conduct
REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT CLOSES September 1, 2019.
Picnic tables at Bloedel Donovan Park
Name & Address of Outdoor Facility:
Bloedel Donovan Park
2114 Electric Ave, Bellingham, WA 98229
The host will provide easy up tents
Bellingham International Airport
4255 Mitchell Way, Bellingham, WA 98226
Four Points by Sheraton Bellingham Hotel & Conference Center
714 Lakeway Dr, Bellingham, WA 98229
Bike Shops / Rentals:
Transition Bikes – $40 rentals
Fanatik Bike Co Bicycle Shop
1812 N State St (360) 756-0504 Open until 6:00 PM
Jack’s Bicycle Center
1907 Iowa St, Bellingham, WA 98229 (360) 733-1955
The Kona Bike Shop
1622 N State St, Bellingham, WA 98225 (360) 656-5862
|BICP L1 RECERTIFICATION - Bellingham, WA - September 14, 2019||$65.00 / year for 4 years and a $225.00 fee for the class|