Level 1 Bridge Course -Fundamental Skills Instructor
For Level 1 this course will introduce stability and biomechanics, teaching strategy, site selection, goal setting, proper demonstrations, teaching points, keywords, progressions, and error detection for a total of 16 skills.
Be sure to pay attention to any new material, specific keywords, and skill progressions. You may be asked to demonstrate teaching proficiency on any/ all of the skills presented in the manual.
Expect a full day of training & testing for BICP Level 1 certified instructors. This bridge course includes our most current materials such as updated key teaching points, static holds, demonstrations, and progressions.
Our Expectations: We expect to see that as a rider you have mastered the Fundamental Elements and can demonstrate and teach ANY of the Level 1 skills on your first attempt along with proper error detection and correction using positive critique. We will expect that you are comfortable and fluent with all current keywords and teaching points along with proper demonstrations and progressions performed using PLATFORM/FLAT PEDALS.
Level 1 Course Skills:
- Neutral Position and Ready Position
- Bike/Body Separation
- Riding Straight Lines
- Small Circles and Switchbacks
- Rock Dodge
- Climbing Dismount
- Seated Climb
- Standing Climb
- Crouched Climb
- Restarting on a Climb
- Descending Dismount
- Descending for Beginner to Intermediate trails
- Roll Down
Each student will be tested on their ability to demonstrate, teach, and provide feedback through error detection and corrections.
In order to pass the BICP Level 1 course, participants must demonstrate an understanding of the material, perform a suitable teaching simulation, and pass a written test.
Hands-on training and testing for leading group rides, mountain bike guiding, and fundamental skills instruction.
Completion of the course, in addition to passing a practical exam, will qualify an individual to:
- Instruct individual or group mountain bike skills clinics in a professional, systematic and safe manner
- Assess the level of each rider in their group through a pre-ride observation session
- Assess and diagnose common errors within each rider’s fundamental skills
- Prepare and implement teaching plans, progressions, and goal planning for future skills clinics
- Make responsible choices when instructing mountain bike skills clinics
- Assist BICP instructors at clinics, camps, and events
Level 1 Bridge Prerequisites:
- Current First Aid & CPR certificate
- Wilderness First Aid certification strongly recommended
- Three or more years of mountain bike experience
- Volunteer work or work experience in the bike-related industry
- BICP Level 1 Ride Guide & Fundamental Skills Instructor Certification (prior to 2020)
- At least 18 yrs. old
- Good communication skills
- A strong desire to help others have more fun and progress safely
- Ability to perform basic trailside repairs (flat tires, broken chains, and shift adjustments)
- Fluent in the English language including reading and speaking
*A manual and all course documents are included in the course fee.
* All participants must be in good standing with their membership dues prior to attending this event *
REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT CLOSES Sept 5, 2020.
Elaine B Bikes
c/o Elaine Bothe
Name & Address of the Outdoor Facility:
The Sandy Ridge Trail System is located about an hour east of Portland, Oregon on the way to Mt. Hood. No camping or overnight parking is allowed at the trailhead parking lot. The closest town is Welches, Oregon, 97067.
Sandy Ridge Trail System
62700 E Barlow Trail Road, Brightwood, OR 97011
The HOST will secure arrangements for extreme rain. PNW weather conditions could see light-medium rain.
Portland International Airport – 7000 Airport Way, Portland, OR 97218
- The BICP has a partner discount rate provided through Windham Hotels & Resorts. There are many near the airport, about an hour drive from Sandy Ridge.
- Nearby cabins and houses are available through Mt. Hood Vacation Rentals
67898 E Highway 26, Welches, Oregon 97067
- (888) 424-9168 https://www.mthoodrentals.com/
Tent, yurt, tiny houses, and RV camping is available nearby at Mt Hood Village RV Resort
65000 E. Hwy 26, Welches, OR 97067
- The closest hotel is the Mt Hood Resort
- 68010 East Fairway Ave.
- Welches, OR 97067
- T: (503) 622-3101
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.mthood-resort.com/
Bike Shops / Rentals:
- Hood Bicycles – George Wilson – email@example.com- P: 503-564-9086
|Level 1 Bridge Course -Fundamental Skills Instructor - September 19, 2020 - Sandy Ridge, OR||$225.00|