Level 1 Certification Fundamental Skills Instructor
Length: A 3-day course that certifies an individual as a Fundamental Skills Instructor.
Cost: $650 USD, includes the cost of the online Ride Leader course.
(Current BICP Ride Leaders may contact administration for subsidized pricing prior to registering)
NOTE: 2020 curriculum changes require all participants to take the BICP Ride Leader course as a Prerequisite.
(after registering for the Level 1 course an online version of the Ride Leader certification must be completed prior to attending the Level 1)
There are many aspects to teaching mountain biking: planning and preparation, risk management, clear communication with students, managing a group of riders, and being fully confident in your own understanding and demonstration of the Fundamental Elements. With the solid foundation covered in the Ride Leader course, you are ready to focus on developing your skills instruction. The skills portion of this course takes you through 16 different skills.
Each student will be tested on their ability to demonstrate, teach, and provide feedback through error detection and corrections.
In order to pass the BICP Level 1 course, participants must demonstrate an understanding of the material, perform a suitable teaching simulation, and pass a written test.
The Level 1 course offers hands-on training, students will receive comprehensive training on the fundamental elements of mountain biking. Level 1 participants will create a foundation for teaching mountain bike skills clinics including personal riding skills, proper form, systematic methods, and terminology.
Completion of the course, in addition to passing a practical exam, will qualify an individual to:
- Instruct individual or group mountain bike skills clinics in a professional, systematic and safe manner
- Assess the level of each rider in their group through a pre-ride observation session
- Assess and diagnose common errors within each rider’s fundamental skills
- Prepare and implement teaching plans, progressions, and goal planning for future skills clinics
- Make responsible choices when instructing mountain bike skills clinics
- Assist BICP instructors at clinics, camps, and events
Level 1 Prerequisites:
- Current First Aid & CPR certificate
- Wilderness First Aid certification strongly recommended
- Three or more years of mountain bike experience
- Volunteer work or work experience in the bike-related industry
- BICP Ride Leader Certification
- At least 18 yrs. old
- Good communication skills
- A strong desire to help others have more fun and progress safely
- Ability to perform basic trailside repairs (flat tires, broken chains, and shift adjustments)
- Fluent in the English language including reading and speaking
- Instructor Best Practices
- Skills Analysis
- Introduction to Instruction
- Fundamental Skills
The Ten Fundamental Elements of Mountain Biking:
- Neutral Position, Ready Position, & Ready State
- Bike/Body Separation
- Pedal Position
- Eye Movement
- Gearing and Cadence
- Timing and Coordination
- Pressure Control
Level 1 Course Skills:
- Neutral Position and Ready Position
- Bike/Body Separation
- Riding Straight Lines
- Small Circles and Switchbacks
- Rock Dodge
- Climbing Dismount
- Seated Climb
- Standing Climb
- Crouched Climb
- Restarting on a Climb
- Descending Dismount
- Descending for Beginner to Intermediate trails
- Roll Down
The certification holder must maintain their annual membership dues.
This certification holder must maintain a current basic First Aid / CPR training certification.
The Certification is valid for 4 years from the date issued.
An in-person recertification course is required every 4 years.
*A manual and all course documents are included in the course fee.
REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT CLOSES Sept 15, 2020
Elaine B Bikes
c/o Elaine Bothe
Name & Address of the Outdoor Facility:
The Sandy Ridge Trail System is located about an hour east of Portland, Oregon on the way to Mt. Hood. No camping or overnight parking is allowed at the trailhead parking lot. The closest town is Welches, Oregon, 97067.
Sandy Ridge Trail System
62700 E Barlow Trail Road, Brightwood, OR 97011
The HOST will secure arrangements for extreme rain. PNW weather conditions could see light-medium rain.
Portland International Airport – 7000 Airport Way, Portland, OR 97218
- The BICP has a partner discount rate provided through Windham Hotels & Resorts. There are many near the airport, about an hour’s drive from Sandy Ridge.
- Nearby cabins and houses are available through Mt. Hood Vacation Rentals
67898 E Highway 26, Welches, Oregon 97067
- Mail: PO Box 454, Welches, Oregon 97067
- (888) 424-9168
Tent, yurt, tiny houses, and RV camping is available nearby at Mt Hood Village RV Resort
65000 E. Hwy 26, Welches, OR 97067
- The closest hotel is the Mt Hood Resort
- 68010 East Fairway Ave.
- Welches, OR 97067
- T: (503) 622-3101
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bike Shops / Rentals:
- Hood Bicycles-George Wilson – email@example.com -P: 503-564-9086
|Level 1 Certification Fundamental Skills Instructor - October 2-4, 2020 - Sandy Ridge, OR||$65.00 / year for 4 years and a $585.00 fee for the class|