Level 2 Certification Intermediate Skills Instructor
Length: A 3-day course that certifies an individual as an Intermediate Skills Instructor.
Cost: $650 USD ( please contact Nicole@icp.bike for Canadian prices)
NOTE: 2020 curriculum changes require all prior participants to take the Level 1 Bridge course as a Prerequisite.
Details on annual dues and policies to maintain this certification can be found at https://icp.bike/policies/
Each student will be tested on their ability to demonstrate, teach, and provide feedback through error detection and corrections.
In order to pass the BICP Level 2 course, participants must demonstrate an understanding of the material, perform a suitable teaching simulation, and pass a written test.
The Level 2 course offers hands-on training, students will receive comprehensive training on the fundamental elements of mountain biking. Level 2 participants will create a foundation for teaching mountain bike skills clinics including personal riding skills, proper form, systematic methods, and terminology.
Completion of the course, in addition to passing a practical exam, will qualify an individual to:
- Instruct individual or group mountain bike skills clinics in a professional, systematic and safe manner
- Assess the level of each rider in their group through a pre-ride observation session
- Assess and diagnose common errors within each rider’s fundamental skills
- Prepare and implement teaching plans, progressions, and goal planning for future skills clinics
- Make responsible choices when instructing mountain bike skills clinics
- Assist BICP instructors at clinics, camps, and events
Level 2 Prerequisites:
- Wilderness First Aid certification strongly recommended
- Three or more years of mountain bike experience
- Volunteer work or work experience in the bike-related industry
- BICP Level 1 Certification
- At least 18 yrs old
- Good communication skills
- A strong desire to help others have more fun and progress safely
- Ability to perform basic trailside repairs (flat tires, broken chains, and shift adjustments)
- Fluent in the English language including reading and speaking
Instructor Best Practices
Introduction to Instruction
Fundamental Skills Instruction
Intermediate Skills Instruction
The Ten Fundamental Elements of Mountain Biking:
Neutral Position, Ready Position, & Ready State
Gearing and Cadence
Timing and Coordination
The certification holder must maintain their annual membership dues.
The certification holder must maintain a current basic First Aid / CPR training certification.
The Certification is valid for 4 years from the date issued.
An in-person recertification course is required every 4 years.
Although this course is not to be taken as a personal skills training event, participants will end up honing their skills on the bike and gaining additional knowledge about mountain biking.
REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT CLOSES June 15, 2020
The Loppet Foundation
c/o Eric Robertson
Name & Address of the Outdoor Facility:
Loppet The Trailhead-1221 Theodore Wirth Parkway, Minneapolis, MN 55422
pavilion on site
Minneapolis–Saint Paul International Airport -4300 Glumack Drive, St. Paul, MN 55111
Bike Shops / Rentals:
available on site
|Level 2 Certification Intermediate Skills Instructor - July 10-12, 2020 - Minneapolis, MN||$65.00 / year for 4 years and a $650.00 fee for the class|