Ride Leader Certification
Length: A 1-day course that certifies an individual as a BICP Ride Leader.
Cost: $200 USD, includes the first year of membership dues.
The BICP Ride Leader course was developed to introduce the basics of mountain bike ride leading to volunteers and/or people working as Ride Leaders for mountain biking clubs. The course is not a skills clinic – participants must already have a solid understanding of mountain biking, based on their personal riding experience.
The Ride Leader course will provide direction and build your confidence to lead mountain bike rides. The Ride Leader will have the ability to spot and correct basic bike skills for the safety of their group. It also provides the Ride Leader with the necessary tools and awareness to lead a group on safe mountain bike rides geared towards beginner trails.
Completion of the course, in addition to passing a practical exam, will qualify an individual to:
- Lead individual or group mountain bike ride in a professional, systematic and safe manner
- Assess the level of each rider in their group through a pre-ride observation session
- Assess and diagnose common errors within each rider’s fundamental skills
- Prepare and implement action plans in an emergency situation
- Make responsible choices in picking trail routes for specific groups
- Assist BICP instructors at clinics, camps, and events
Ride Leader Prerequisites:
- Current First Aid and CPR certificate
- Three or more years of mountain biking experience
- Have at least 40 hours of volunteer hours with local rec. center, bike shops, trail groups, etc
- At least 14 years of age ( a letter of recommendation needed for 14-16 yr olds)
- Good communication skills with a strong desire to help others have more fun and progress safely
- Ability to perform basic trailside repairs (flat tires, broken chains, and shifting adjustments)
Ride Leader Course Topics:
- How to prepare for your ride
- Safety Procedures
- Emergency Action Plans
- Effective Communication Skills
- Group Management
- Pre-Ride Observation Session
- Steps to a Guided Ride
The certification holder must maintain their annual membership dues.
This certification holder must maintain a current basic First Aid / CPR training certification.
The Certification is valid for 4 years from the date issued.
An in-person recertification course is required every 4 years.
REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT CLOSES March 10, 2020.
c/o Paige Ramsey
Name & Address of Outdoor facility:
Greater Sacramento Area – TBD
Bike Shops / Rentals:
404 Vernon St, Roseville, CA 95678
|Ride Leader Certification - March 15, 2020 - Sacramento, CA||$65.00 / year for 4 years and a $135.00 fee for the class|