Level 1 Certification Fundamental Skills Instructor
Length: A 3-day course that certifies an individual as a Fundamental Skills Instructor.
Cost: $650 USD, registration includes the cost of the online Ride Leader Certification course.
Current BICP Ride Leaders should contact the administration for subsidized pricing prior to registering.
Details on annual dues and policies to maintain this certification can be found at https://icp.bike/policies
This course introduces stability and biomechanics, teaching strategy, site selection, goal setting, proper demonstrations, keywords, progressions, and error detection for all the level 1 Fundamental Skills.
The Level 1 course offers comprehensive hands-on training on the fundamentals of mountain biking. All participants will create a foundation for teaching mountain bike skills clinics including personal riding skills, proper form, systematic methods, and terminology.
Completion of the course, in addition to passing a practical exam, will qualify an individual to:
- Instruct individual or group mountain bike skills clinics in a professional, systematic, and safe manner
- Assess the level of each rider in their group through a Pre-Ride Assessment
- Assess and diagnose common errors within each rider’s fundamental skills
- Prepare and implement teaching plans, progressions, and goal planning for future skills clinics
- Make responsible choices when instructing mountain bike skills clinics
- Assist BICP instructors at clinics, camps, and events
Level 1 Prerequisites:
- BICP Ride Leader Certification
- Current First Aid & CPR certificate
- Wilderness First Aid certification is strongly recommended
- Three or more years of mountain bike experience
- Volunteer work or work experience in the bike-related industry
- At least 18 yrs. old
- Good communication skills
- A strong desire to help others have more fun and progress safely
- Ability to perform basic trailside repairs (flat tires, broken chains, and shift adjustments)
- Fluent in the English language including reading and speaking
Level 1 Course Skills:
- Neutral Position/Ready Position
- Bike/Body Separation
- Riding Straight Lines
- Small Circles
- Rock Dodge
- Seated Climb
- Standing Climb
- Crouched Climb
- Restarting on a Climb
- Climbing Dismount
- Braking on Descents
- Descending Dismount
- Roll Down
In order to pass the BICP Level 1 course, participants must pass a pretest, demonstrate an understanding of the material, perform a suitable teaching simulation, and pass a final written exam.
The certification holder must maintain their annual membership dues.
This certification holder must maintain a current basic First Aid/CPR training certification.
The Certification is valid for 4 years from the date issued.
An in-person recertification course is required every 4 years.