Level 1 Cross-Over Certification – Fundamental Skills Instructor
NOTE: 2020 curriculum changes requires all participants take the BICP Ride Leader course as a Prerequisite.
( after registering for the Level 1 course an online version of the Ride Leader certification must be completed prior to attending the Level 1)
Length: A 1-day course that certifies an individual as a Fundamental Skills Instructor.
Cost: $325 USD, includes the cost of online Ride Leader course.
Level 1 Prerequisites:
- Provide a copy of current Certification from other recognized organization
- Current First Aid and CPR certificate
- Three or more years of mountain biking experience
- At least 18 years of age
- Good communication skills with a strong desire to help others have more fun and progress safely
- Ability to perform basic trail side repairs (flat tires, broken chains, and shifting adjustments)
- Fluent in the English language including reading and speaking
- Wilderness First Aid certification strongly recommended
What: Expect a full day of training & testing for “cross-over” certified instructors. Our one-day training course will test you on your knowledge of the BICP terminology, methodology, and your skills ability and knowledge to teach in accordance with the BICP curriculum and includes our most current materials such as updated key teaching points, static holds, demonstrations, and progressions.
Why: A demand from the community has shown an increase in interest in our sport and the demand for great mountain bike instructors is needed. Expand your knowledge and learn new tools to become a stronger and more well-rounded instructor.
The Bike Instructor Certification Program is building bridges and community with our new “Cross Over” courses. These courses are offered to members of the mountain bike community that may have certifications from other recognized organizations. We invite you to join the BICP family and take our “Cross Over” courses.
When: Check our current schedule of events or request a course in your area.
How to Prepare: A current Level 1 pre-course packet containing the most current manual will be mailed 6-8 weeks prior to your event.
- Read the manual and complete the pre-course documents
- Practice your skills demonstrations and teaching materials
Our Expectations: At this stage, we expect to see that as a rider you have mastered the Fundamental Elements and can demonstrate and teach ANY of the Level 1 skills on your first attempt along with proper error detection and correction using positive critique. We will expect that you are comfortable and fluent with all current keywords and teaching points along with proper demonstrations and progressions performed using PLATFORM/FLAT PEDALS.
Ideally, you have been instructing riders, friends, clients, etc. for the past four years or more. If not, we strongly recommend that you offer some clinics in order to sharpen your abilities in these areas.
You will be tested on the following:
- Fundamental Elements
- Skill Description
- Teaching Points
- Group Management
- Error detection and corrections
- Leadership & Professional Conduct
Level 1 Course Skills:
- Neutral Position and Ready Position
- Bike/Body Separation
- Riding Straight Lines
- Small Circles and Switchbacks
- Rock Dodge
- Climbing Dismount
- Seated Climb
- Standing Climb
- Crouched Climb
- Restarting on a Climb
- Descending Dismount
- Descending for Beginner to Intermediate trails
- Roll Down
The certification holder must maintain their annual membership dues.
This certification holder must maintain a current basic First Aid / CPR training certification.
The Certification is valid for 4 years from the date issued.
In person recertification course is required every 4 years.