Level 3 Certification Advanced Skills Instructor
Length: A 3-day course that certifies an individual as an Advanced Skills Instructor.
Cost: $650 USD. All participants must be in good standing with their annual membership dues.
Changes were made to the BICP curriculum, as of January 2020.
The BICP recommends that participants who received their certification prior to 2020 participate in a Level 2 Bridge course prior to attending a Level 3 certification.
Details on annual dues and policies to maintain this certification can be found at https://icp.bike/policies
This course introduces stability and biomechanics, teaching strategy, site selection, goal setting, proper demonstrations, keywords, progressions, and error detection for all the Level 3 Intermediate Skills.
We will expect that you are comfortable and fluent with all current keywords along with proper demonstrations and progressions performed using FLAT PEDALS.
The Level 3 course requires an expert level of personal riding ability. All pre-requisites for this course will be strictly enforced with no exceptions.
In order to pass the BICP Level 3 course, participants must pass a pretest, demonstrate an understanding of the material, perform a suitable teaching simulation, and pass a final written exam.
The Level 2 course offers comprehensive hands-on training on the fundamentals of mountain biking. All participants will create a foundation for teaching mountain bike skills clinics including personal riding skills, proper form, systematic methods, and terminology.
Completion of the course, in addition to passing a practical exam, will qualify an individual to:
- Instruct individual or group mountain bike skills clinics in a professional, systematic, and safe manner
- Assess the level of each rider in their group through a Pre-Ride Assessment
- Assess and diagnose common errors within each rider’s fundamental skills
- Prepare and implement teaching plans, progressions, and goal planning for future skills clinics
- Make responsible choices when instructing mountain bike skills clinics
- Assist BICP instructors at clinics, camps, and events
Level 3 Prerequisites:
- BICP Level 2 Leader Certification
- First Aid/CPR Certification
- Wilderness First Aid Certification strongly recommended
- Five years of mountain bike experience
- Volunteer work or work experience in the bike-related industry
- At least 18 yrs. old
- Good communication skills
- A strong desire to help others have more fun and progress safely
- Ability to perform basic trailside repairs (flat tires, broken chains, and shift adjustments)
- Fluent in the English language including reading and speaking
Level 3 Course Topics:
- Level 1 Fundamental Skills review
- Level 2 Intermediate Skills review
- Creating teaching plans
- Skills analysis
- Effective teaching
- Error detection and correction
- Skill progressions
Level 3 Skills:
- North Shore Dismount
- Advanced Rear Wheel Lifts
- Bunny Hop
- Lunge Drop
- Stomp Drop
- Berm Cornering
The certification holder must maintain their annual membership dues.
The certification holder must maintain a current basic First Aid/CPR training certification.
The Certification is valid for 4 years from the date issued.
An in-person recertification course is required every 4 years.