BIKE INSTRUCTION CERTIFICATION PROGRAM (BICP)
GLOBAL STANDARD FOR MOUNTAIN BIKE INSTRUCTION
The goal of the BICP is to break down the barrier to entry by increasing access to professionally trained and certified mountain bike instructors.
Who We Are
The Bike Instructor Certification Program (BICP) offers professional training and certification for individuals who lead group rides or teach mountain bike skills clinics. The BICP is building on proven, successful methods nearly two decades in development, and aims to establish a global standard for mountain bike skills instructor training.
With origins dating back to 1995, our training materials are built on 20 years of coaching experience, skill development, and program building.
The BICP is demystifying the process of teaching mountain biking skills in a structured progression.
More than 200 BICP courses have been led Globally, certifying 1400 individuals. The BICP continually develops the curriculum and training for our Instructor Trainers to maintain high-quality standards.
Why the BICP?
Learning to mountain bike can be difficult. Minor accidents and injuries are common in our sport. Without consistent language and standards, teaching skill development within a safe environment is challenging.
The goal of the BICP is to break down the barrier to entry by increasing access to professionally trained and certified mountain bike instructors. Led by Shaums March, our team of certified Instructor Trainers will add legitimacy to the sport of mountain biking and remove barriers to instruction in the community.
“People think that [mountain biking] is just a matter of throwing yourself down a hill; they don’t realize how precise it is.”
BICP Lead Instructor Trainer
THE BICP MISSION
Our mission is to advance the global standard for mountain bike instruction, driving an inclusive community that empowers our members through education, certification, service, and experience.
BICP Values and Principles
- We are honest and transparent with each other
- We are honest with people about their performance
- We operate with the letter of the law, safety is a priority
- We uphold the values and principles of our Certification programs
- We act as one unified body
- We respect each other
- We show respect for all individuals and organizations
- We are community
- We have confidence in our decision making
Passion for Success
- We are committed to being the national standard
- We challenge
- We inspire
- We act like owners and treat the BICP as if it were our own business
- We accept accountability
- We grow, personally and professionally
- We learn from you, our members
- We build long-term partnerships
- We are all leaders in our sport
- We have a vision and are creative
- We develop others to become leaders
- We focus resources towards the development of our future leaders
- We believe it is the responsibility of all member to continually develop themselves and mentor others
Our Team of Professional Instructors
Meet the Crew
BICP Code of Conduct
- Will promote sportsmanlike conduct with anyone we encounter during a BICP course or event
- Will engage in positive behavior that ensures the health, safety, and well-being of other human beings or animals during a BICP course or event
- Will not use drugs, alcohol, or tobacco products during any BICP course or event
- Will use professional language (no profanity or swearing) during any BICP course or event
- Will create a safe environment free of verbal or physical threats or abuse aimed at anyone we encounter during any BICP course or event
- Will not initiate a fight, or scuffle with anyone we encounter during any BICP course or event
- Penalty for any violation of the code of conduct could result in the person being banned from all BICP Programs