Mountain biking is a fast-growing sport, and as more people take to the trails, there is an increasing need for experienced riders to assume leadership. The Ride Leader course was developed to introduce the basics of mountain bike riding for volunteers working as ride leaders for mountain bike clubs, school teachers, and outdoor recreation education programs.
It is critical to remember that every ride presents a unique situation, and it is therefore impossible to predict or recreate every combination of variables a ride leader may have to deal with.
As a Ride Leader, you should develop your own safety standards, operational procedures, and emergency action plans, in order to manage risk and to satisfy your own insurance policy. In the interest of the sport, make sure you ride trails in a safe and responsible manner, set a good example for others, and manage riders, to avoid accidents, injuries, and conflict with trail users.
The Bike Instructor Certification Program is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization with the goal of the BICP is to break down the barrier to entry by increasing access to professionally trained and certified mountain bike instructors. We thank you for your participation and wish you well with your future pursuits in the sport of mountain biking.
The objective of this training is to help Ride Leaders gain confidence and understanding of the elements of mountain biking. After participating in this course you will be qualified to:
- Lead individual/group mountain bike ride in a professional, systematic and safe manner
- Assess each rider in the group through a pre-ride observation session
- Assess and diagnose common errors within each rider’s fundamental skills
- Prepare and implement action plans in an emergency situation
- Make responsible choices in picking trail routes for specific groups
- Bike and equipment set-up for safety, comfort and performance
No portion of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without prior written permission of the publisher.
As a member of the Bike Instructor Certification Program;
Annual Membership Dues
The certification holder must maintain their annual membership dues.
- The cost of the BICP annual membership fees is $65.00
- Annual membership dues will be set as a reoccurring payment through PayPal or Stripe
- no refunds will be issued for any online curriculum offered through the BICP
This certification holder must maintain a current basic First Aid / CPR training certification.
The certification is valid for 4 years from the date issued, recertification is required every 4 years.
Please follow the steps below to complete your online course.
- Read the Ride Leader Manual.
- Watch the Videos.
- Complete the online Test.
- Print your Certificate.