Ride Leader Certification
An online course that certifies an individual as a BICP Ride Leader.
Length: The online course is a self-guided online course. The average time to complete the online content, watch the related video, and complete the quiz is approximately 8 hours.
Cost: $200 USD (including $65 annual membership dues).
Time: The course must be completed within 30 days of registration.
The BICP Ride Leader course was developed to introduce the basics of how to lead mountain bike rides. This course is perfect for volunteers and/or people working as Ride Leaders for mountain biking clubs or after-school programs. The course is not a skills clinic – participants must already have a solid understanding of mountain biking, based on their own personal riding experience.
The Ride Leader course will provide direction and build confidence to lead safe mountain bike rides. Providing the necessary tools and awareness to lead a group on safe mountain bike rides geared towards beginner trails.
- Lead individual or group mountain bike ride in a professional, systematic, and safe manner.
- Assess the level of each rider in their group through a Pre-Ride Assessment.
- Prepare and implement action plans in an emergency.
- Make responsible choices in picking trail routes for specific groups.
- Assist other instructors at clinics, camps, and events
Ride Leader Prerequisites:
- Current First Aid and CPR certificate.
- Three or more years of mountain biking experience.
- Have at least 40 hours of volunteer hours with local rec. center, bike shops, trail groups, etc.
- At least 14 years of age.
- Good communication skills with a strong desire to help others have more fun and progress safely.
- Ability to perform basic trailside repairs (flat tires, broken chains, and shifting adjustments).
Ride Leader Course Topics:
- How to prepare for your ride.
- Safety Procedures.
- Emergency Action Plans.
- Effective Communication Skills.
- Group Management.
- Pre-Ride Assessment.
- Steps to a Guided Ride.
The certification holder must maintain their annual membership dues.
This certification holder must maintain a current basic First Aid/CPR training certification.
The Certification is valid for 4 years from the date issued.
A recertification course is required every 4 years.
Details on annual dues and policies to maintain this certification can be found at https://icp.bike/policies/